The past few days have been rather turmultuous where I am right now. Here’s the run down as to why:
1. WIKILEAKS- I actually have a lot of problems with this, so I will be reduced to dot points
- Julian Assange has broken no US laws to my knowledge. Has he bombed the Twin Towers? No, Osama Bin Laden did. Is he an Islamic (or any religion for that matter) Terrorist? No, Bin Laden is. Why is he being treated as world public enemy #1?
- The rape charges in Sweden are POLITICALLY MOTIVATED. They were dropped by the prosecutor, then picked up by another in a different region with the backing of a POLITICIAN. Whom I am sure would love to score some points with the American Government.
- WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO FREEDOM OF SPEECH/THE PRESS????? The American Government is labelling him a terrorist. Has he killed anyone or told anyone to kill another? No. However, he has put the American Government in a bit of a pickle. Can’t be fun trying to explain all of that.
- But to be completely honest, not much of it is stuff we don’t already know. For instance, is it not common knowledge that dictators/leaders of questionable democratic mandate will “acquire” pretty young women? Everyone here in Australia knows that Kruddy is an annoying little control freak spin doctor.
- The issue here is not state secrets. It is not about protecting the boys on the front line. It is America’s reputation, which in my opinion from their subsequent actions has been completely shredded.
- Turning back to home here, JULIA GILLARD IS AN IDIOT. She makes a statement that Assange acted illegally. No he didn’t, he just acted contrary to the will of the current world super power, who has gone unchecked for fr to long.
- AS A LAWYER, she should not have said that. Julian Assange is an AUSTRALIAN CITIZEN, and therefore entitled to our help. This rings far too much of the DAVID HICKS case, where instead of defending its citizen, our government let the Americans do what they want and because of that he endured YEARS OF IMPRISONMENT AND TORTURE because our government will not stand up to America. We truly are, as the leaked cables say, “A ROCK SOLID PARTNER but NOT STRONG ENOUGH to deal with certain issues”
- I’m not even going to start on PayPal etc. That goes under American Government is stupid and Freedom of the Press/Speech issue. I’d be writing all day if I did.
Secondly (yes after all that) the Lloyd Rayney case.
He has just been arrested for the wilful murder of his wife in 2007. Its been all over the news here.
While I’m fine with justice and giving the guy his day in court, I have to go back to the issue of his daughters. The day he was arrested was just hours before the oldest, Caitlyn, was supposed to be at the End of Year Speech Night for school. She’s Vice Captain next year. I was in most of her classes this year.
I would hate to be in her shoes right now. I wish them all the best, and I hope her dad is found not guilty. I’ve seen him most days at the parking lot leaving school when he’s there to pick them up.
But I’m not holding my breath. There are many factors that affect a fair trial.
- Media Coverage can influence a jury’s decision. For an Australian example, see the Chamberlain Case.
- The influence of others can affect a jury’s decision. Could you really go and see this guy as innocent until proven guilty if everyone and their dog Has been telling you that “The murderer should rot in hell for what he did”. Can you prove that he did it? No. Do people have opinions? Yes. Are these opinions shared with others in conversation? YES.
- Pressure on police to get an arrest can lead to sloppy evidence collection, and even incorrect evidence, as they are under tremendous pressure from their superiors, the government and the public to make an arrest.